Making lunch for kids

Making lunch for kids

Postby Esmeralda » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Question for you all. If you and your kids are both home during the day, do you make lunch for them on a regular basis? At what age do/did they start making their own lunch (assuming they do at all). Thanks.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda
 
Posts: 2626
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: Small Town USA

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby Esther » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:01 pm

I have not made lunch for my kids in many years. I expect them to be able to get their own lunches. Once in a while I will make something for lunch, say fajitas, and ask if they want some but usually it's every man for himself.

edited to add, and also dinners too. Because of the hours I worked the past few years and with Dh across the country, the boys had to fend for themselves many times for dinner as well.
Image

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
User avatar
Esther
 
Posts: 5288
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby erin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:38 pm

Basically what Esther said. Age wise, umm 10 at the oldest I had them doing all their own lunches. Dinner could be a fend for yourself by 13. I make lunch daily for the daycare kids and offer some to Jacob and Vic, but for the most part, they still do it on their own.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin
 
Posts: 2431
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:29 pm

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby cathie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:07 pm

I pack lunch for my preschooler the days he has school. The older two (10 & 13) always make their lunch, and our 5 year old also makes his own lunch when we are home (unless I am making something for the two of us, like salad or pasta).

OTOH, I almost always make dinner (or dh does) and we eat as a family. If a kid has a sport that makes them need to leave before dinner, then they have to fend for themselves (usually a bagel, sandwich or fajita) and we'll leave a plate in case they are hungry afterwards. Very occasionally one of the kids will make dinner for all of us but that doesn't happen often enough IMHO!
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie
 
Posts: 1523
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:28 pm

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby holliejjj » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:22 pm

We never really ate lunch growing up (we ate really early dinners, and some SDA's believe in eating dinner early and nothing else rest of evening)

as far as my kids, I expect them to fend for themselves for lunch. We always have Ramen noodles, mac and cheese, pb &j etc. My mother is OCD and didn't allow me to cook in the kitchen, but I think it"s best to teach the kids whatever you can when it comes to cooking!
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj
 
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:33 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby Tina » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:24 am

When they are home alone they prepare their own lunches, so summers starting when they were about 12 years old. There are usually always leftovers, or I'll have cooked bacon in the freezer (for BLT's), or I'll make up a bunch of pizza bagels and have them available in the freezer. There is also lunch meat/rolls/lettuce available for sandwiches. On school/work days, I prepare everyone's lunches the night before. I'm doing it for myself, so I just take the little bit of extra time to pack theirs as well. Dinners I always prepare (or hubby will grill) and 99% of the time we eat as a family.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:10 am
Location: LaLa Land

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 am

lunch - I still help Annabelle but everyone else prepares their own. Whoever is home all eats together but I'm not fixing the sandwich etc... Sometimes we'll do soup and grilled cheese and it'll be a group effort.

dinner - we eat as a family. Simon plans/buys/prepares one dinner/week and helps me cook a couple of others. Cathleen helps with dinner probably every other night and cooks maybe once every two weeks - she's a reluctant cook, she prefers to bake so she's slower to take over dinner cooking than Simon was
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict
Image

Image Image
Linda
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:39 pm
Location: Rural Florida

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby Tammy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 am

This is a timely topic around here. Alec is perfectly capable of making his own lunch. He does it when he takes a lunch to school during the school year (although he will appeal to me to do it then if he's running late and can rationalize asking), but when we're home, he will almost always ask me to make him something before doing it himself. Like Esther, I will always make him some of what I'm having if he wants it, but I am trying to teach him to do for himself when appropriate as well.

I have been teaching Alec to cook for a while. I told him that he can pick the menu one night a week, and I will help him prepare that meal. The plan is that next time we have that particular dish, he will make it solo. He's done very well when he's followed through with it.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Image
Tammy
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby Esmeralda » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I would say from about age 10 on my kids have been on their own for lunches. It started with all of us eating at the same time so I could make sure they were eating okay things and not just a bag of chips! Now we all eat when we are hungry although I do try and eat with them.

Eric makes his boys lunch when he is home (ages 16 and 13). While I think they should make their own, he feels as if it is his job and if he doesn't make them lunch, they will either eat nothing or a bag of chips (either of which would happen). He also thinks I should be making lunch for my two because he doesn't think Joseph is eating appropriately (lots of fruit, cheese, yogurt but no meat). Just curious what was happening in the rest of the eating world! FTR, I am not going to start making lunch for everyone again, nor do I think Joseph is eating inappropriately.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda
 
Posts: 2626
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: Small Town USA

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby Maelyn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:31 pm

With Cam and Keefe - they have been on their own for lunches when home since about age 8 or 10. Tev is a different matter because with his hypoglycemia we have to ensure that he eats before he sugar crashes. We remind and try to get him to make his own. About 60% of the time he does. The other 40% he is often too far down the sugar crash (low blood sugar) to make it and it spirals down from there. So we make it and put it in front of him and he eats and life is better again.

We are slowly working on him being able to realize when he needs to eat before it is an issue... :eek: and then getting him to realize he actually has to do it. :roll:
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Image
User avatar
Maelyn
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Outside Time & Space

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Maelyn wrote:With Cam and Keefe - they have been on their own for lunches when home since about age 8 or 10. Tev is a different matter because with his hypoglycemia we have to ensure that he eats before he sugar crashes. We remind and try to get him to make his own. About 60% of the time he does. The other 40% he is often too far down the sugar crash (low blood sugar) to make it and it spirals down from there. So we make it and put it in front of him and he eats and life is better again.

We are slowly working on him being able to realize when he needs to eat before it is an issue... :eek: and then getting him to realize he actually has to do it. :roll:

Thread hijack - How did they determine that Tev has hypoglycemia? I have suspected this of Duncan, but my pediatrician just blows me off. My brother is hypoglycemic - does this run in families?
Image
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
User avatar
WorkingMomx3
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: PA

Re: Making lunch for kids

Postby April » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Well, since I am making lunch during the week for the daycare kids, I usually do for my kids, too. Usually, they can only eat part of the lunch I make; ds is gluten intolerant and dd is vegeterian. They usually have to maje something of their own. That said, dd will very independently make everything by herself and ds will ask me. I admit to doing it more for ds because it is easier than having two of us bumping into each other in the kitchen! I run around quickly and like a crazy woman during daycare lunchtimes! LOL


** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**


~~The Fray


April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

Image
April
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:16 pm
Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white


Return to Alice's Restaurant

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron