Easter Sunday traditions

Easter Sunday traditions

Postby cathie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Wondering what your family does for Easter Sunday. Do you have a meal with family? If so, what time (brunch, lunch, dinner?). We are thinking of inviting my cousin over but I'm not sure the "usual" way it's done since we are normally at my parents' place. And when is the all-important egg hunt?

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!

Re: Easter Sunday traditions

Postby mobetsy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 pm

No surprise here: church! I always have two services, and the family usually comes to one of them, though this year they may come to the Great Vigil of Easter on Saturday night--long but glorious, and officially the first celebration of Easter--and sleep in on Sunday morning. My SIL then hosts us for a meal, at which I am a total slug after doing six services in 60 hours. I don't think my boys ever even knew about the Easter bunny because I just didn't have energy for it, so we have lacked in most family traditions related to this holiday :x

Postby Esther » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 am

This year is a bit different b/c my husband is down in Houston. I'm up here with all 3 boys since Matt is also on spring break and then I have to probably drive him back on easter sunday afternoon, to college.

That being said, we usually play at the 9:30 service with our music ensemble. It will be nice having Matt home playing with us, although the caliber of our high school musicians is quite high, two of the students playing just qualified for all state band.

If I'm not working, which I'm not this weekend (yay!) we have more time for our Easter dinner. The traditional stuff, ham and the fixings. Today I'm making the cheesecake.

We usually did the easter egg hunt either before church (when they were younger) or afterwards. Hubby always did that, that was his family's tradition. We'd split up 3 separate regions in the house and hide their candy in those eggs. However, with the age of the boys now, and the fact I don't want to drag out the easter eggs when we still have the house in sale condition due to inspections, etc, I'm just going to divvy up their candy tonight and put it out at the table. The easter bunny belief is long gone in this house, ha ha.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)

Postby Linda » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:54 am

baskets before Mass, Easter egg hunt outside in the yard after Mass. I do a roast lamb dinner in the early afternoon (usually aim for about 2pm)
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image

Postby Tammy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:56 am

For us this Easter will be a tough one. Although the date was in April, my dad passed away last year on Easter Sunday. It will hard to celebrate this day, but I plan on making a point of trying to remember a different happy memory each time I catch myself feeling sad. We've never been conventionally religious, but I know I will be feeling extra grateful for my family and our lives together tomorrow. We will have a small family dinner and hold onto each other a little tighter than usual.

P.S. I have to say that I miss the egg hunt days. Having a teen is wonderful, but I'll be a little nostalgic for those earlier years tomorrow, as well.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Postby wanda » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 am

When the kids were young, it was always baskets in the morning, church, then an egg hunt and dinner around 2. Mostly, Easter dinner was a ham with sides but the meat was never etched in stone. We did always had as a side deviled eggs made from the dyed eggs, so they were kind of marbled on the outside, and egg salad made from the same. We also usually had a Watergate Salad - one of the few jello and fruit salads we love.

I miss Easter with family and kids!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon

Postby JulieB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 am

Ours is different some years but this year is pretty traditional.

The kids will wake to Easter baskets that the Easter Bunny filled. Church and then to my MIL's house for brunch at 11AM and an Easter Egg hunt with DH's sister's kids.

Then at 4PM we will go to my parents house for Easter dinner. My sister and her family will be there too. My parents always make smoked brisket, spinach/strawberry salad, cheese grits, deviled eggs for Easter dinner. And then we will do another Easter Egg hunt.
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)

Postby erin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm

No traditions and I have no idea what we will do. I haven't gotten eggs and frankly I don't even care to do it, but I bet shave will have fun so I guess I have to.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image

Postby cathie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks all! I think we'll have them over after church, aim to eat lunch around 1 or 2pm and have the egg hunt whenever we fit it in. Probably before the lunch because otherwise the little ones will drive us nuts asking about it :)

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:30 am

DH & I used to fill eggs with candy and hide them around the house. We would always be up late Saturday night hiding them.This year, I filled them yesterday and just put out the baskets. No hiding. The boys don't even wake up early anymore.

We will have breakfast, head to Mass, and we are eating early so that Colin can head back to school. We always have lamb for Easter.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!

Return to Alice's Restaurant