So what is everyone cooking/baking for the holidays?

So what is everyone cooking/baking for the holidays?

Postby holliejjj » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm having Christmas eve

I'm making some Kale chips (my two oldest girls and cheyenee, LOVE these chips and squeal and scream when I make them lol)

I have a store bought carrot cake because it's my dad's favorite

I'm going to make some Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

Thinking of making some Chocolate Peanut butter bars

My son requested my Cherry cola brownies (at the Kraft website I'm pretty sure)

Hawaiian Bread cut almost like a bloomin onion with cheese inside the cuts and baked with melted butter and garlic on top.

I think I'm going to get those Hawaiian rolls and put deli meat and cheese on them and bake them in the oven til cheese melts. Those seem to be a big hit as well.

Other than that I don't know. I also go to Stuart's family on Christmas day and have to bring something.. not sure what to bring yet.
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj

Re: So what is everyone cooking/baking for the holidays?

Postby erin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Nothing special, just a turkey dinner. I love turkey
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Tina » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Christmas Eve we go to my BIL's. I have to bring sausage, bread, a fresh fruit tray and cookies. They're also having shrimp, pasta w/meatballs, salads, lots of appetizers and desserts.

Christmas day my mom is coming over and I'm making fisherman's stew (w/lobster, shrimp, mussels, cod), asparagus, coleslaw and Sicilian Cassata for dessert.

We're supposed to get a lot of snow this weekend, so I'll be making cookies (cut outs, almond paste, oreo balls, German anise drops, peppermint melt aways, and some others if I have time) on Saturday and Sunday.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby wanda » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 am

Not completely sure of the menu as yet. Courtney is supposed to arrive Saturday evening, and will stay 6 days. Brian and girlfriend will be here on Sunday, just for the day. So.....

Sunday, I will cook a prime rib. I'm really not sure what I will make to go with it. Thinking about sauteed mushrooms, asparagus wrapped in bacon, and maybe those potatos Julie once mentioned on her blog (really simple - cut in half and roasted in a pan with melted butter, salt and parmesan cheese heavily sprinkled on the bottom. It makes for a simple side dish that is both pretty and tasty.

Christmas will be turkey since we didn't have one at Thanksgiving. Not sure what we will have with it other than dressing, gravy and cranberry sauce. I need to figure it out ASAP though!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Andrea040805 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 am

I am not making any special plans. My dad always hosts Christmas Eve, which is a mexican potluck this year, but as of right now I have two sick kids so we will see how they are come Monday. Christmas day we were supposed to make the rounds but we will be staying home now. We all need time to heal and recover. We are sliding into 2013 completely beaten and bruised!
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Postby Maelyn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 pm

My parents host Christmas Eve and are doing Mexican buffet. Christmas day we always do "all day munchie" day. I put out munchie foods... beef log, cheese, crackers, costco bakeable munchies, cinnamon rolls, chicken nuggets, and bbq meatballs... and whatever else happens to be handy in the fridge
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby wanda » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:52 pm

I love that idea, Amy.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby CarolC » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm hosting Mike's family on the 23rd, after our evening service at church. Since we will be going back to the house after church, I decided to do finger foods. We're having ham biscuits, sausage balls, Rotel dip, buffalo chicken dip, chips, cheese, crackers, veggie tray and a variety of sweets.

We will go to my aunt's Christmas Eve. She has only asked me to bring my iced sugar cookies. Hosting my parents on Christmas morning and will have the usual breakfast casserole and accompaniments. Then we are going to my grandmother's. I think I am only supposed to bring the sugar cookies and a broccoli casserole.

Nothing too difficult this year!
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
CarolC

Postby Linda » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Christmas Eve dinner is always takeaway pizza :)

Christmas dinner - this year I'm making a roast turkey (usually we have roast beef) with roast potatoes, mashed swedes, Brussels sprouts, old-fashioned green beans, stuffing, gravy, creamed onions and cranberry jelly mould. Dessert is mince pies and pumpkin pies.

Baking-wise?

So far I've made Reeses Chewy Chocolate cookies; pastel cookies; sugar cookies and pumpkin gingerbread. Still planning gingerbread cookies; magic bars; brownies; chocolate chip cookies; fudge; stollen; cranberry squares and cranberry bread
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby funnygirl » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Didn't see this before I posted in the Garden.

Pretty sure we are cooking the 1/2 prime rib roast that is in the freezer. Wanda - thanks for some ideas for sides.

Any other suggestions?

I haven't done any baking this year - just haven't had time. Anthony helped my mom though.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Esmeralda » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:32 pm

I am hungry!
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby mobetsy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:43 pm

We're going to my mom's for Christmas and just need to take appetizers and a fruit salad. With 3 out of 8 people at the table having to watch sugar & carb intake, I have convinced my mom that we can cut back a bit on the menu; for example, we don't need potatoes and stuffing and rolls :roll:

The 26th is our annual Leftover Party; we won't have much in the way of leftovers but we'll dry brine a turkey and BBQ it for the event, then trust that others do have leftovers! Last year we had 65+ at the party and it really pushed the limits of the house; this year the RSVPs are running a more typical 40-ish, which is a relief.

Maybe I'll do some New Year's baking...the Rose Parade bleachers are going up and the pink guide line is re-painted down Colorado Blvd, which started to put me in the mood when I saw them today.
mobetsy

Return to Alice's Restaurant