Your tweens/teens and cleanliness

Your tweens/teens and cleanliness

Postby April » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:51 am

When kids get older, they take on some responsibilities that we used to have to monitor on a daily basis. Or, at least is SHOULD be that way, LOL. How involved are you in your kids hygiene? I am sure there are some who need no involvement... especially those girls who will spend all sorts of time doing their hair, makeup, etc. :grin: I have one of those.

BUT, I also have one who still seems like he would not shower on his own, EVER. Well, that is an exaggeration, because he has been known to jump in the shower after going to homeschool day camp, working out in the yard, or smelling like smoke from the chimenea. We have kept a policy of showers at minimum every other day, but will send them in if they really need it, or if we are doing something special that day where they need to dress up.

Then there is the question of HOW CLEAN they get. Or should I say *he gets*. I will often find a washcloth unused, or hair that doesn't seem to be very clean at all. :roll:

And there is my daughter who says she can decide whether or not she needs to shower, but will miss a shower several nights in a row after practice. I still need to remind her and her brother to floss, take their medication, things like that. *sigh*

So, how involved do you need to be in your child's hygiene and cleanliness? Am I alone in this? Mine are 13.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Re: Your tweens/teens and cleanliness

Postby Esther » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:28 am

It's funny how kids seem to go from never wanting to take a bath or shower.... to the teen years when they take showers all the time. Morning, night..... etc.

I remember in the last year or two having to tell Danny to wash his hair etc. But now he's a freshman in hs, I don't have to do any reminding at all. Ryan is our compulsive shower-taker. He has to take one at night and then one in the morning again. I have knocked on the bathroom door at both of them to turn the water off already. They both enjoy taking long hot showers.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Maelyn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 am

With our boys we made it a mandate that at 13 showers became a daily thing. No excuses. With Cam it wasn't a huge deal except that on the rare occasion he doesn't shower his acne really breaks out fast. With Tev... let's just say he has the "boy smell" and it's not pleasant to be around him if he isn't.

I do not really check up on them for cleanliness - washclothes etc. I just ensure they go in and do. Keefe is already getting some of it because it's the rules of the boys choir at camp and on tour. Showers every day. Of course if I had to be on a bus with 30-40 pre teen and teen boys, I'd insist on showers twice daily. :eek:
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby mobetsy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:19 am

Laughing at the choir bus comment, because when our school's 5th grades go on their week long D.C. trip, the requirement is daily showers and deodorant use, simply so tht the chaperones can stand to be on the bus with them!

Andrew started showering on his own without prompting right about the time he really needed to, maybe 12. Stephen took a bit more reminding until he was 13+. After that, the problem has been getting them out of the shower :eek:

As far as taking medicine, Stephen is an almost 18 y.o. in 12th grade and I still give him his Concerta in the morning very first thing. When he's on his own he can do it or not--if he cares, he'll figure it out quickly--but for now we are both content with this.
mobetsy

Postby Linda » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:21 pm

I still have to remind Cathleen to shower and wash her hair....she would rather read another chapter of her book before bed :) (she's 12)

Simon - he's good about taking showers after work but doesn't always bother on his days off (then I remind him) (he's 21)
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Tina » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 pm

With both boys in sports, they were made to take showers every day at an early age. Sean takes his shower in the morning before school. I too have to tell Sean to hurry it up in the morning - he takes after me with the long hot showers. Now with Sean on the weekends I have to keep reminding him to take his shower. He isn't allowed to leave the house until he does, so eventually he does it. He's not big on flossing - so I do nag him about that on a daily basis and I need to remind him to use deoderant too :roll:
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby wanda » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I guess we were really lucky in that both kids never minded bathing and shampooing hair. It was rare for them to skip a bath.

Tooth brushing and flossing were another matter as they got older and I'm sure both were skipped with great regularity. Makeup removal before bed also didn't happen as Courtney got older.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Cheryl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:55 am

We struggle with this with my son. Dd #1 (12) does just fine. Every day or other day, she takes care of everything. An occasional reminder and she is set. Ds, we do have to remind him frequently and still only aim for every other day. Teeth brushing is one of our biggest battles. We have to ask 5 or 6 times and then it might be a 10 second brush. Not sure how to fix this. Dd #2 does great on regular school days but does require extra reminders on weekends in the am. She has been wearing mouth appliances as well for a year and has done great keeping them brushed/wearing them, not losing them,etc. Just my boy that we struggle with.
Cheryl

Postby wanda » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:17 am

Cheryl, if it's a huge issue, you could make those red disclosing tablets availabe and insist he use them to check occasionally. I used them with both kids when they were younger. Courtney gave me the biggest problem with tooth brushing.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Maelyn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:21 am

Betsy - deoderant is also mandatory for boys choir as is NO after shave or perfume. I'd hate to be enclosed on a bus with 30-40 boys without those rules.

On the meds... We ask Tev if he has taken his meds and then check after to ensure he has. But he is pretty reliable about it. He doesn't like how he feels without his medication so he has some incentive to be on top of it. Actually he's usually reminding us when it's time to fill his med box since he takes more than one med at different times per day.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby cathie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:15 pm

I have to remind both kids to shower, and make their bed, and most of the time to clean up. ARRRG! OTOH, no need to remind them brush well before bed. Sometimes they *try* to skip it in the morning as they rush out the door but their mean mom catches them by the door!

My older two are great about homework and getting themselves fed and ready for school in the am though, so I'm grateful for that.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Teena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:20 pm

It is funny how kids can be so different. We had to tell Sissy when to shower. Now Ellie is like Ryan(Esthers son) she takes one at night before bed and then one in the morning before school.
Teena

Return to Alice's Restaurant