Shoes in the house question

Shoes in the house question

Postby cathie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Do you take your shoes off when coming into the house? Do you expect guests to? On the Today Show this am, the presenters said they hate going to houses that do and made it out to be weird! I'd say it's the norm around here to take your shoes off (at least among our friends). We do take our outside shoes off at our house, although if guests ask I say "we do, but it's fine either way" so they don't feel they have to take their shoes off if it makes them uncomfortable.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Re: Shoes in the house question

Postby April » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Cathie, almost the same policy as you, including how I deal with guests. I only insists the younger guests and daycare kids take their shoes off in the house. Most people see the shoes by the door, and already do that. If I am having a get-together I will offer that they can leave shoes on if they wish.

That said, close friends and family often come to my house and bring their slippers. Or leave them here to use in the winter. This includes Jory, both Mothers, my SIL, and a few close friends of the family.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby erin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:38 pm

I am grossed out by feet and smelly feet so I prefer people NOT take off their shoes unless they really want to. The daycare kids all take theirs off but they don't really stink, yet. I do steam clean my carpet weekly though and vacuum twice a day. I just hate feet and smelly feet. I don't want to risk it.

I almost always am barefoot though ;)
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Christina » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Well, I'm Canadian, so I think you know the answer! ;)
Christina

Postby Esther » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm not sure Christina! Does that mean you do or don't?

I usually take mine off. But I would never presume to tell guests to take off their shoes. Some people do, some people don't. Now, mind you if we're having a big backyard barbecue, we certainly don't, as people are going in/out onto the deck into the house, etc.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Christina » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:11 pm

Yes :) Canadians, for the most part, are shoe removers - it's very rare for us to leave outside shoes on inside the house. In fact, I've engaged in spirited online debates about whether or not it's rude to ask people to remove their shoes when they go to someone's house! Here (as in Canada), it's just taken for granted that shoes come off inside the front door.
Christina

Postby Tammy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:39 pm

When we bought our house, we had all new carpeting and flooring installed, so we had planned to do this. It quickly stopped, though, as dh is the kind of guy who leaves his shoes on until he's ready for bed. I find that odd (even after 20 years together), since shoes are the first thing I take off after walking through the door. In the winter I wear socks, but in warmer weather I don't put shoes or socks on unless I go out. I also didn't like asking guests to remove their shoes. Some of my friends will take theirs off when they come over, as they see me do it, but I'm fine either way. The way I look at it, I'm a total clean freak, so the floors are always getting cleaned. Plus, we have two dogs, so they are constantly tracking the outside indoors whether we are or not.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby Esmeralda » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:21 pm

In our old house we always took our shoes off, as did most of our friends who came to visit. I never asked friends to do it, though. Kids just did it automatically.

Now that Eric and I are married, things are different. My kids still take their shoes off and I almost always do (love my slippers). Eric, however, wears his shoes from the moment he gets dressed until bedtime. Like Tammy, I find this very strange!
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Tina » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:11 pm

All the carpeting in the house is cream colored - so yes we remove our shoes when we enter the house. I don't tell people to take theirs off, but it's very rare for anyone to not remove their shoes. The kids tell their friends to take off their shoes when they come over.

A funny thing- many years ago we had a woman come over to give us an estimate. She was from Holland and it was in the middle of winter (snowing, ect.) She took her shoes off outside the door before entering and left them outside. I was shocked and told her no - that she could bring them inside they were going to freeze. She insisted.In their culture they take them off and leave them outside the door. :eek:
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Christina » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Tina, there are many South Asian families in our neighbourhood, and they leave their shoes outside too. Their feet must be very cold in the winter!
Christina

Postby sarah » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:36 pm

We typically take them off. Dh's parents were missionaries in Japan before they had kids, so they have always done that. I grew up in a predominately Asian area and they leave their shoes off as well. I wonder if it's an American thing? I can't imagine wearing my shoes all day, that'd be weird.
Sarah, mom to 4 bookworm girls! J-16, L-15, K-12, I-10

sarah

Postby Esther » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 pm

When I am home, the shoes are off and the slippers are on!

Dh grew up with a Japanese mother and yes they do not wear shoes inside the house.

Christina, I wonder if the Canadian thing also comes from all the snow and mud, etc? you don't want that tracked into your houses!

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Maelyn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 am

I don't have a preference one way or the other. We tend to take them off but not right at the door. And I don't ask people to take theirs off unless they want to. Some do, some dont. Much of our house it tile flooring but the carpet is "sand" colored so it doesn't really make a difference. We have bigger issues with bringing in sand that hurts the feet when walking barefoot
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby mobetsy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:23 am

We tend to take ours off in the house, but not necessarily at the door unless they are really wet or muddy. Guests are welcome to do so or not. We have no carpeting; if I did, I would probably be more inclined to enforce a no shoes policy with my own family.
mobetsy

Postby wanda » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 am

I just don't like shoes and never wear them inside. Fred likes sneakers and will mostly keep his one, although I wish he'd take them off. No rule regarding the issue and most guests keep their shoes on.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:55 pm

No shoes here. DH & I switch to slippers in cool weather months. The boys (and their friends) leave their shoes in the laundry room, right where they come into the house. However, older friends and guest do whatever they feel comfortable with.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Return to Alice's Restaurant