Anything you have in excess?

Anything you have in excess?

Postby Esmeralda » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:17 pm

And no, I am not talking about excess weight!

As you may have seen on Facebook, I have 51 decks of cards in this house. I know we are a card playing family, but 51 decks! Really? Really. I do plan to give some away before the move, but I would guess I am keeping 40 decks. Some are from my childhood, some I just love, and I guess I am just a freak. I'll face it.

We all know Carolyn has mustard and I just discovered Maelyn has Monopolies. Anyone else?
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Re: Anything you have in excess?

Postby carseatmom » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Carseats?! LOL!!! No really I can look at right this moment at least 5 carseats in my house, and I currently only have 1 kid in a booster!

In 2004 42,800 people died, and 2,757,000 people were seriously injured
in car crashes. Don't think it can't happen to you! Always where a seat belt
and correctly use car seats and booster seats for children.
carseatmom

Postby wanda » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Gosh, I have so much in excess...dishes, clothing, furniture. I so need to get rid of things!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Esther » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Tisha, I'm impressed. Decks of cards would never last in my house! Especially from my childhood. Usually one or more of the kids have gotten into the deck and either bent them, or lost cards.

I think Ryan took a deck of cards with him to Europe, but he must have had them in his room.

I guess I probably have an excess of candles, esp Yankee Candles. I love them. Let me count.

11 full size jars. (I have some for every season & for Christmas)

4 votives and 2 tiny jar ones. The votives I got free for buying a candle not too long ago.

3 giant Slatkin & co (from Bath & Body Works) - Dh got those for me for mother's day.

I also have an excess of golden retriever fluff!

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Louveda M. Morris » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Pencils... Not really sure why except that Dallas regularly tells me she needs pencils. Then I eventually find the last box of pencils, put them away & forget about them the next time she says she needs them. So I end up buying more.
Louveda M. Morris
Mom to Dallas (14) & Allen (22) & now MIL to Hailey (20)
Louveda M. Morris

Postby sarah » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Clothes, especially mismatched socks!
Sarah, mom to 4 bookworm girls! J-16, L-15, K-12, I-10

sarah

Postby Linda » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:27 am

cats? we have 5 inside, 1 outside and at least 2 more that visit regularly (outside)

Lego....but I'm blaming that entirely on DH

stuff in general
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby April » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:52 am

at times we have excess kids around here. :grin:

I would have to say games. Especially Scene It Games... we own 7 of those alone. :roll:

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby erin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:43 am

Kids. LOL between my 4 and the daycare kids, I have, at times, and quite often had 10 kids here.

Carseats are another. Only ONE of my kids are in a carseat, but I have 5 carseats in one vehicle, 2 in another and 3 in another. Of course I have to actually take seats OUT if my kids want to go anywhere. LOL

Computers? We have 6 in our house that work, and there are 4 that aren't plugged in.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Tammy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:32 am

Picture frames and dishes here. Oh, and scrapbook stuff. I've gotten better with the first two, especially since we bought the house we're in now. I donated tons of frames and dishes then -- felt really good! I'm still not ready to confront my scrapbooking addiction, but at least I'm not adding to it.

I tend to buy too many books, but I only keep the ones I know I will use for reference or re-read. I pass most of the fiction on to friends or the library. I hate the idea of books sitting unread on shelves. Seems like a waste to me.

Amy, Alec LOVES all the different versions of Monolpoly, too. His favorite is his Star Wars Saga Edition in the metal box.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby holliejjj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 am

I am very thrifty so it's hard for me to part with my money but I could totally go crazy with:

1. Longaberger pottery

2. Vintage kitchen items

3. Vintage pyrex

4. Beauty Supplies

5. Vintage Aprons/clothes/pillowcases/tablecloths

6. Books

7. Candles

8. Religious books/artwork/crosses etc
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Esme - 51 decks of cards - WOW! I would be surprised if we had 1 complete deck in our house. Once the kids get a hold of cards or a game all the pieces are history.

Esther - Have you checked out Yankee Candle's semi-annual sale yet? I'm a new Yankee Candle-aholic. lol

Like Sarah - clothes are our excess. We have clothes coming out of our ears. Each person in our household has at least 1-2 large dressers, 1 armoire (sp?), and closet and all are crammed to the max with clothes. Plus laundry baskets full setting in their rooms. In May I went thru Kylie's clothes and threw away 3 large trash bags full of clothes that were too small, stained or torn. She still has clothes in laundry baskets because there is not enough room to put them away. Plus everyone's off season (currently winter clothes) are stored in bins under the house for the summer.

If I didn't know better I would swear they multiply like rabbits because I hardly ever shop for clothes.
Sandy

Postby Maelyn » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Board games - all kinds. Our entire linen clothset is filled with board games (floor to ceiling) including multiple variants of Monopoly - Tammy send Alec down to visit - Cam would be thrilled to have someone to play with.

Candles - I'm trying to give up my PartyLite habit and haven't bought any in about 2 years but I still have tons!

At the moment Jewelry - I got tasked with dealing with my grandmother's estate (at least the jewelry portion of it... talk about overwhelming she had TONS of stuff)
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby sarah » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Sandy wrote:Esme - 51 decks of cards - WOW! I would be surprised if we had 1 complete deck in our house. Once the kids get a hold of cards or a game all the pieces are history.

Esther - Have you checked out Yankee Candle's semi-annual sale yet? I'm a new Yankee Candle-aholic. lol

Like Sarah - clothes are our excess. We have clothes coming out of our ears. Each person in our household has at least 1-2 large dressers, 1 armoire (sp?), and closet and all are crammed to the max with clothes. Plus laundry baskets full setting in their rooms. In May I went thru Kylie's clothes and threw away 3 large trash bags full of clothes that were too small, stained or torn. She still has clothes in laundry baskets because there is not enough room to put them away. Plus everyone's off season (currently winter clothes) are stored in bins under the house for the summer.

If I didn't know better I would swear they multiply like rabbits because I hardly ever shop for clothes.

Sandy, if you had posted first I would have dittoed you! LOL! I got rid of an entire pick up truck full of stuff and most of it was clothes! I joke that they multiply too, especially since they're in close quarters. I don't do any real clothes shopping either!

The games issue is the same here. I find pieces everywhere. I'm afraid to open the boxes of games because I'll never find all the pieces again!

sarah

Postby JulieB » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:07 pm

We are purgers big time so don't really have excess of anything. We do have lots of boy clothes but we have lots of boys too! We have excess sports shorts and t-shirts!
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby sarah » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:32 pm

JulieB wrote:We are purgers big time so don't really have excess of anything. We do have lots of boy clothes but we have lots of boys too! We have excess sports shorts and t-shirts!

We have a lot of the sports shirts and t-shirts too. I have a hard time parting with them because I have plans for them. SOMEDAY I would like to make a quilt for the each of the girls out of their old jerseys, someday...

sarah

Postby Tina » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:53 pm

TV's...we have seven of them :oops:
And countless number of VHS tapes.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Esther » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:54 am

Tina, I sometimes still watch our VHS tapes... Fiddler on the Roof, Titanic (yes I have it on VHS!) and Crossing Delancey are all movies I just watched over the past few weeks on VHS! We still have a ton of the original disney movies on VHS.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby funnygirl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:55 am

bobble heading at VCR tapes - what do you do with them?

I have excess everything! I have combined three households, and have the boxes of junk to prove it. Someday, I will get through them all.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Maelyn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 pm

funnygirl wrote:bobble heading at VCR tapes - what do you do with them?

I have excess everything! I have combined three households, and have the boxes of junk to prove it. Someday, I will get through them all.

Convert them to digital and put them on DVD... I've been doing that with ours lately and it's nice to see the piles get SMALLER. DVD's take up so much less room.

I have to add paperwork here, although I've been scanning and purging that recently so it's becoming more manageble. I'm a purger... DH is NOT. He has hoarder genes somewhere and just can't bear to part with anything. So I have to make sure it is out of the house before he knows I'm getting rid of stuff. I don't get rid of his stuff that was his but clothes that don't fit the little guy or t-shirts that have holes all over, destroyed shoes, paperwork (after scanning important things like IEP history etc).
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Next

Return to Alice's Restaurant