Would you take a 12 y.o. to Paris?

Would you take a 12 y.o. to Paris?

Postby cathie » Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 pm

DH has a work trip there this summer, I'm going with him. We've both been before and love it! My parents have offered to look after our kids while we are away. DH is thinking it would be fun to take dd along, that it is a good age to do something like this with her. My mom thinks this is a crazy idea and we should take advantage of the time together alone. I'm really on the fence -- it would be a neat experience for her, but is she a bit young? And it would be nice to be with just dh. WWYD?
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Re: Would you take a 12 y.o. to Paris?

Postby April » Sun May 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Gosh, Cathie... I am sort of on the fence on this one! I see that it might be good for you and dh to get away. But then I think if you might have some down time while dh is doing something work-related, you would have your dd to hang out with. In that case, If there is enough time on your own, I would say definitely go for it. Then, for safety of traveling in numbers, I would look for as many group tours to museums, etc that you could book to do with dd. That would be my main concern.

How you and dh feel about it is also a good determining factor. I bet she is at the age where a special thing for just *her* and Mom and Dad might be a great bonding experience.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby Ashley Anne » Sun May 13, 2012 9:05 pm

My parents took me to Australia when I was 11 and I LOVED it. Same thing: dad was working, mom and I went along, leaving two younger sibs at home. It was a fantastic experience. My dad worked a lot of the time we were there, so it probably wouldn't have been a great romantic trip anyway. I don't think I was too young.

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, though if my dh was in favor of bringing her, I'd probably do that. For me it would depend a lot on how much time he'd be working. Also, we VERY rarely get overnight time alone, so that would be hard to give up! (especially since we'd be "burning" overnight babysitting time anyway with the younger two)

Good luck with your decision -- and have a fantastic time!!

Hugs,
Ashley Anne
Ashley Anne, mom to Natalie (11), Lindsay (9), and Kate (8)
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.
Ashley Anne

Postby Esther » Sun May 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I would definitely take a 12 year old. It would be a great experience for your daughter.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Tammy » Mon May 14, 2012 6:23 am

Another one who would take her here. If she doesn't want to go, that would be different, but if she does, it is a great opportunity. I think one of the best gifts you can give your kids is experiences, and this is one that she would never forget.

On a side note, I remember reading an interview with Gwyneth Paltrow (not a big Gwyneth fan, but I digress...) in which she said that her late father took her to Paris the first time she went. He had told her that he wanted her first trip there to be with a man who would love her forever -- not some guy who could leave her with memories filled with mixed feelings some day down the road because of a breakup, etc. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but you get the idea. This instantly made me think of that!
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby Lisa » Mon May 14, 2012 6:34 am

Well if your dd doesn't want to go..my 12 year old Paris obsessed daughter would! I would take her in a heartbeat. What an experience. Not to mention the fact that it will be just her. I'm all for family vacations, but sometimes its nice to just take one child somewhere and let them enjoy the entire experience! Have fun!!!

Lisa mom to Katie (17) Jacob (15) Grace (13) Ben (11) Gabriel (10) and Matthew (7)
Be the difference you want to see in the world.
Lisa
Queen Mother

Postby Louveda M. Morris » Mon May 14, 2012 7:28 am

I would take her. It could be a fantastic bonding experience for the two of you while Dad is working.
Louveda M. Morris
Mom to Dallas (14) & Allen (22) & now MIL to Hailey (20)
Louveda M. Morris

Postby JulieB » Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 am

I am big on trips with just the DH but I would take DD on this one!! It would be a wonderful experience and a lifetime memory!

We took our older 2 boys to London a few years ago at ages 8.5 and 11 and it was awesome! We left the 2 younger boys with the grandparents and to have the time with the older boys on a trip like this was very special! Age 12 would be old enough for a trip like this for sure!
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby Tina » Mon May 14, 2012 8:44 am

Tammy wrote:I think one of the best gifts you can give your kids is experiences, and this is one that she would never forget.

I agree 110%. DH and I will have many years (God willing) of alone vacations, so I would definitely take the opportunity to bring them.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Nancy » Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 am

I would in a skinny minute!
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Andrea040805 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:53 pm

yep, her bags would be packed!!!
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Postby Esmeralda » Mon May 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Take her. I like what Tina said about having many years alone to vacation together.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby RhondaS » Tue May 15, 2012 8:17 am

I'd take her - what a great experience for you both.
RhondaS

Postby cathie » Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 pm

OK, done! Thanks for giving me the nudge. It's so pricey but I think it will be worth it and she is VERY excited.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby carseatmom » Tue May 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Having just got home from a trip to London with Baylee (although she was 14) I say DO IT!!! She will love it and it will be some great bonding time. But get her prepared. If you will be walking a lot, make sure she starts walking a lot now. Build some stamina. We spent 8 days there and were going and going and going. She did really well expect for feeding herself well. She had a hard time with her pickyness, and if she doesn't eat, she goes off the rocker.

In 2004 42,800 people died, and 2,757,000 people were seriously injured
in car crashes. Don't think it can't happen to you! Always where a seat belt
and correctly use car seats and booster seats for children.
carseatmom

Postby Maelyn » Thu May 17, 2012 9:44 am

In a heartbeat! I would love to take the boys... we are hoping that Keefe will be on his first international trip with the boys choir in another year which would be fantastic for him.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Return to Alice's Restaurant