Is Anyone Presbyterian?

Is Anyone Presbyterian?

Postby holliejjj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:22 pm

We are trying to find a home Church. It was something I wanted to do for awhile after being non-denom. I wanted a "home". My bf went to a Presbyterian a few years back when he was in a small town in Indiana. We went to one this morning. Hard to give up my non-denom mega Church lol. But I'm giving it a try. This Church is sooo close to our house.

What Stuart likes about it... they have a lot of female pastors. They encourage learning.
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj

Re: Is Anyone Presbyterian?

Postby April » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:29 pm

HI Hollie!

I would consider myself non-denominational, too. I have gone to a Baptist church, United Methodist (a bit too conservative for my taste, but it worked), and now an Episcopalion. Yes, I also spent some time at a Presbyterian church when I lived in Florida for about 8 months. I really felt comfortable there, and also liked that they had female pastors. I did some searching to find something that really tells the basics about the Presbyterian beliefs, but maybe you could find something that works for you to read. There seems to be a lot out there, and some of it is rather dry or in-depth.

I would be more inclined to think about how your feelings about the church are. Did you feel welcomed? Is there an active children's program and how are children viewed by the church (ie- are they welcome to sit with you if you desire, or do they discourage that). This kind of thing. I have found that those seem to make or break my experience there, actually.

For two of the churches I tried, I started out working in the church nursery. I spent a lot of time talking to the parents of the children, to get a feel for the religion and the programs the church offered. I really felt comfortable by this time attending church myself. So if you find someone who seems very friendly and helpful, try talking to that person and asking some of the questions that might be on your mind.

Wish I could help more about the actual beliefs. But I HTH anyhow. :smile:

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby mobetsy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 pm

As you might guess, I could say a million things about finding a church home! For the record, the Episcopal Church has female clergy and encourages critical thinking ;-)

Give any place a few tries unless it is immediately clear it isn't a good fit. Sundays are not all the same, and you need to see a representative sampling. It is entirely reasonable to expect that a few people will greet you and/or respond to your initiating conversation, and that if you ask questions, someone will either answer them or help you find someone else who can. If you want to know more about the denomination, make an appointment to talk to the pastor. Sunday morning really is not the best time to do this! Going in to find out more doesn't force you into becoming a member, but it will allow you to find out more about that denomination in general and the particular congregation's style and leanings.

One comment regarding April's mention about working in the church nursery: although it might seem to be a good way to get an inside view and meet some people, the misconduct prevention guidelines in most denominations recommend against having anyone new to a church working with children right off. If that idea appeals to you and you are turned down, don't be offended; be glad that they take protecting children very seriously.
mobetsy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:56 am

I grew up Presbyterian and am now Methodist. I visited the Presbyterian church when we moved to the town we lived in and just didn't like the "vibe". Loved the Methodist church feel and congregation - and that's where we've been for 16 years now.

I like what Betsy said. I think you have to visit - regularly - and see what feels best for you.

Our church requires a background check on anyone working with children, youth or vulnerable adults. Churches have to protect themselves too - so like Betsy said, don't be offended if they don't accept your offer to help.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby holliejjj » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 am

Mobetsey, that is the other denom I was thinking of lol (Episcopal). I found online one in our city and I didn't understand a thing on the page.. lol. So far from Seventh-Day Adventist!

Here is the website http://www.saintanne-wc.org/

as soon as I seen this I was like Whaaaa Whaatt?

Sundays
7:30 a.m. Eucharist (Rite I)
9:00 a.m. Prayer & Praise Eucharist ("Rite III")
10:45 a.m. Eucharist (Rite II) (Healing prayers available)

9:45 a.m. Youth and Adult Education

Wednesdays
7:00 p.m. Eucharist

Is Eucharist another word for sermon?

I think poor Stuart has his heart set on Presbyterian just because of a good experience at one in a different state. Maybe I just need to give it some time. Yes people were welcoming and the preacher was a sweetheart... but I have pretty bad ADD and currently I'm not on Strattera. So a preacher has to be really good and passionate to hold my attention. At this Church I found myself missing huge chunks of the sermon thinking about, who only knows? lol He stood behind a podium. At the church I have been going to, they walk around the stage, speak passionately and use lots of humor. It held my attention. Maybe the preacher moving around helped my mind stay focused as opposed to a preacher that stands in one spot the whole time.

I guess I got spoiled with some aspects of a large non denom mega church. I like contemporary service, Stuart likes Traditional. Stuart doesn't like the music part of contemporary but I do because I listen to that type of music. Stuart wants something where they focus on Bible studies (which is fine with me). The advantages were after the sermon we talked to the preacher. At my mega church, you really can't do that. Too many people. He remembered our names when we said bye. My mega church, the preacher has no clue who I am, ya know?
holliejjj

Postby mobetsy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Eucharist is communion. If you are baptized, you are welcome to receive the blessed bread and wine, both or just one or the other. If you don't want to receive communion, you can still come up to the altar rail, cross your arms across your chest, and the priest will give you a blessing. There are many reasons people do this, so don't worry that you will be thought weird!

If you like a contemporary service, the 9:00 one would definitely be your choice. It will be less formal in language and format, and the music will be less formal (probably guitar, maybe keyboard and/or drums, rather than organ).

The early service will be the most traditional; Rite I is the version of the service in the prayer book that uses traditional language. The third service is in-between the two; Rite II is still using a form of worship from the prayer book, but with modern language. All of them are likely to have a sermon, though at the middle service it might be less formal. In any case, the sermon in an Episcopal church is usually 12-18 minutes; sometimes priests go longer, but most are in that range. I had a good time looking through their website!
mobetsy

Postby holliejjj » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:47 am

Awesome thank you. I will have to check it out.

We also have some non denom in our area (Vineyard, Journey etc) but it would be nice to have a denomination. Just something I would like at this time in my life.
holliejjj

Postby SherrieM. » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Hollie, you can also check out the Mystery Worshiper and see what the comments are. I know we check here whenever we move, just to get a baseline feel for a parish. http://www.ship-of-fools.com/mystery/index.html
SherrieM.

Postby Cathy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:58 pm

I was raised Presbyterian. The church encouraged learning - had sunday school classes for all ages including adults. They also had a small but active youth group. Women also were in leadership roles.

Now when we go to church, we go to a catholic church since dh and the kids are catholic. I personally hate it - too many statues, too much kneeling and too much exclusivity. I don't feel welcome and despise the views on women, etc.
Cathy
Mom to Brendan and Lauryn
Cathy

Postby April » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:37 pm

mobetsy wrote:As you might guess, I could say a million things about finding a church home! For the record, the Episcopal Church has female clergy and encourages critical thinking ;-)

Give any place a few tries unless it is immediately clear it isn't a good fit. Sundays are not all the same, and you need to see a representative sampling. It is entirely reasonable to expect that a few people will greet you and/or respond to your initiating conversation, and that if you ask questions, someone will either answer them or help you find someone else who can. If you want to know more about the denomination, make an appointment to talk to the pastor. Sunday morning really is not the best time to do this! Going in to find out more doesn't force you into becoming a member, but it will allow you to find out more about that denomination in general and the particular congregation's style and leanings.

One comment regarding April's mention about working in the church nursery: although it might seem to be a good way to get an inside view and meet some people, the misconduct prevention guidelines in most denominations recommend against having anyone new to a church working with children right off. If that idea appeals to you and you are turned down, don't be offended; be glad that they take protecting children very seriously.

Betsy, I have never heard of that, but it makes sense. It was over 15 years ago that I worked in the nurseries. Each time I was hired as a paid staff member to run the nursery program while I was in college. It did give me time to chat with parents a lot, and some of them hung around during sunday school or part of service. Having someone to talk to is all that seems to matter, really. I didn't expect her to be able to start right off by volunteering, though many nurseries should let parents hang around with their child until they felt comfortable, or is that even *not allowed*?

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby mobetsy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Hanging around with your own child definitely should not be a problem...quite the opposite (although some kids do better without their parents around, but that is a different matter). It is having volunteers--which is what I thought you were--who are new and unknown. Churches are open and trusting, and as a result have traditionally been one of the places where those who would abuse children have gone for easier access. Now, at least in the Episcopal Church, if you work paid or as a volunteer with children, you also need a background check; the same goes for those who regularly visit people who are homebound. A paid person who was unknown to the congregation should also be asked for references and expect to have them checked.

Sorry for the off topic info, Hollie, but it seems important for people to know!
mobetsy

Postby holliejjj » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:14 pm

Well this weekend we tried the traditional service and much to my surprise I liked it better!

Did you know the pastor came by our house with a container of baked goods (we weren't home tho :(

After service we had people come up and talk to us. It was very cool. So this is what a small Church is like :D
holliejjj

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:13 am

Glad you liked it, Hollie! I guess that goes to prove that you have to try different things.

Yeah - in a small church, a visitor is very "obvious". We give ours a visitor bag that has fresh local honey and info about the church. Then someone from our "Bake-and-Take" committee drops by their house with something homemade. Just a way to make people feel welcome!
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Return to Alice's Restaurant