rules on eating and drinking around house

rules on eating and drinking around house

Postby JulieB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:58 pm

What are your rules on eating and drinking in places other than the kitchen?

I have set the rule that the boys can't bring food and drinks upstairs to to their rooms or up to playroom/media room. The boys say ALL their friends can do this and I am being unreasonable.
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Re: rules on eating and drinking around house

Postby mamaotter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm worse than you -- pretty much food/drink doesn't leave the kitchen. I do occasionally allow them to have food in the family room (now that there are no longer carpets in there) but nothing too messy.
Janet, Mom to Ben & Caden
mamaotter

Postby April » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:58 pm

NO WAY will food be allowed in rooms, ever!

We do allow them to eat snacks in the family room, but they have to be non-messy and in a bowl.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby wanda » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:36 pm

We had the same rule. I did allow water and popcorn in the 'gameroom' when they were watching movies, but that was it. Though, the rule was harder to enforce once they were older and stayed up later than me.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby mobetsy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:37 pm

We are pretty lax about it. However, I think that is irrelevant here; it is your house and you get to set the rules!
mobetsy

Postby Esther » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 pm

Let's just say that I have tried to enforce this... but it hasn't worked too well. Esp with my middle son. We will still find dishes in very weird places in his room at times... he sneaks it in and hides it and then forgets about it. HAve found half eaten pizza slices shoved on plates inside his drawer, or under a stack of stuff in the closet. I have even found food dishes shoved under the sink cabinet in their bathroom. Shoved under the sofa cushions in the room that he spends his time in (the den, but really it's Ryan's room, he hangs out there anytime he's not in his room). Oy vey. I wish I had the right answer.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:10 am

We don't allow it either. Not that it *never* happens - but for the most part, it doesn't.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:01 am

Food in kitchen and family room off the kitchen. Occasionally in the basement where the Xbox & Wii are. I will sometimes find some granola bar wrappers in Duncan's room. He gets in trouble then.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby SherrieM. » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:16 am

Same rule here. And I find stuff upstairs in the play room, but I point it out every time. I also remind them that they hate ants. If they want to avoid ants, they need to clean up after themselves and not drag food all over the house.
SherrieM.

Postby Tina » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14 am

We're semi-lax. Brett's room is also his "game room." It's where his flat screen TV and XBox are located, and where he and his friends hang out when they are over. They can only have drinks in covered cups and non-messy snacks. He also has to clean/vacuum his room weekly. His friends are all programmed well - they remove their shoes when they come into the house, and all carry their cups/etc. to the kitchen on their way out, LOL.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby erin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 am

I don't really care at all, as long as they clean up their messes. Of course, my carpets are destroyed so I stopped having the rule about no eating upstairs because it no longer matters at all.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Linda » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:59 am

our 'rule' is food/drinks only in the kitchen/dining room but apparently my children don't think I REALLY mean it as I find cups/dishes in the living room and Simon's room ALL the time.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby cathie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 am

We have a food/drink only in the kitchen rule -- and have never had a problem with it. I truly hate it when kids come over and try to wander around with snacks, I just cringe! I feel like my grandmother thinking But that's also because I hate vacuuming and don't do it often enough lol. No food/drink in the playroom and definitely not when using Wii/computer. The only exception we make is movie night when we have popcorn and also occasionally we'll eat dinner as a family in the living room when there is a big game on TV. We have loads of kids in the house all the time, but I have never gotten any push back on this -- no teen boys yet though(!)

So I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. It's not so clean to have food crumbs through the house and plus it isn't good to get in the habit of mindless eating while playing computer games... Maybe you can tell them if they'd like to vacuum, dust, and mop every day you'll let them?! LOL
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Maelyn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:50 pm

We have rules about nothing but water on any non-tile floor. Which pretty much limits the food and juice to the dining room (now office), kitchen areas, and entry hall... but we are kind of lax about the family room that is basically an extension of the dining room even though it has carpet.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby Esmeralda » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 am

Absolutely no food or drink (beyond water) upstairs. When Emma was about 4, she ate half of a tootsie roll upstairs and put the over half under the couch (!). I was awoken very early one morning when Joseph came in and said "Mom was have an emergency upstairs. There is an army of ants." All I have to do it remind them of the army of ants and that takes care of that!

I have gotten more lax about food in the family room, but it usually stays on the table and we haven't had an issue yet.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Louveda M. Morris » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:41 pm

I don't think you are being unreasonable. With 4 boys...allowing them to take food/drinks outside of specific areas is a recipe for disaster. I don't blame you one bit.
Louveda M. Morris
Mom to Dallas (14) & Allen (22) & now MIL to Hailey (20)
Louveda M. Morris

Return to Alice's Restaurant