Kids in College - computer, laptop, ipad ?

Re: Kids in College - computer, laptop, ipad ?

Postby carseatmom » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 am

I wouldn't go iPad unless you also plan to purchase her a Mac computer. They files won't transfer well otherwise. The iPad doesn't "talk" easily with other types of machines. Like the others have said, I think the laptop is the best way to go. Now the size of the laptop can be negotiable. They do make a 10.5in laptop which is VERY easy to pack around. However, they are hard to type on a lot (not a full sized keyboard) and she will be typing alot on it, so I'd be very worried about carpel tunnel etc... So getting one with a full sized keyboard (at least a 14.4). Another thing to watch is if they have a CD drive or not. A lot of them do not now. They are a lot lighter, and you can buy an external CD drive which she can leave in her room and plug in only when she needs it.

In 2004 42,800 people died, and 2,757,000 people were seriously injured
in car crashes. Don't think it can't happen to you! Always where a seat belt
and correctly use car seats and booster seats for children.
carseatmom

Postby Maelyn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:21 am

Esther wrote:Sandy, where is Sarah going to college?

Lora, I laughed at your comment (in a good way) b/c my graduation gift from HS in 1983 was an electric typewriter. My kids can't even imagine a typewriter nowadays. Think about the last time when you saw IRL!

We have one at work that sits in the corner... it gets used for our Navy contracts. The goverment has been very slow to adapt to technology and we still have to fill out some shipping forms on the actual pressure sensitive triplicate forms using a typewriter LOL
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Maelyn wrote:
Esther wrote:The goverment has been very slow to adapt to technology and we still have to fill out some shipping forms on the actual pressure sensitive triplicate forms using a typewriter LOL

That's what I told Colin the other day when he only got paid for 6 of 10 days working. They still hand write their time cards and someone has to collect, review and hand enter the data into the payroll system. Unbelievably antiquated. And the payroll person screwed his up.

Just curious, does anyone remember IBM MAGcards? It was a cross between a typewriter and a word processor.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby carseatmom » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 pm

WorkingMomx3 wrote:That's what I told Colin the other day when he only got paid for 6 of 10 days working. They still hand write their time cards and someone has to collect, review and hand enter the data into the payroll system. Unbelievably antiquated. And the payroll person screwed his up.

Just curious, does anyone remember IBM MAGcards? It was a cross between a typewriter and a word processor.

HA!!! I work for the biggest hospital in the state of Idaho, and we still do paper, handwritten time cards! Can you believe it?! I've complained about that since the day I was hired 4 years ago! They cannot tell me that they are spending multi-million dollars on a new EMR system (that was also insanely needed!) and cannot figure out how to afford a clock in and out time system!?!? Really? Drives me NUTS! (can you tell?)

In 2004 42,800 people died, and 2,757,000 people were seriously injured
in car crashes. Don't think it can't happen to you! Always where a seat belt
and correctly use car seats and booster seats for children.
carseatmom

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Esther wrote:Sandy, where is Sarah going to college?

Lora, I laughed at your comment (in a good way) b/c my graduation gift from HS in 1983 was an electric typewriter. My kids can't even imagine a typewriter nowadays. Think about the last time when you saw IRL!

Sarah's going to CU-Boulder. We called them and they said it's about 50/50, half use Ipads and half use laptops. :? So we left the choice up to Sarah and she chose the laptop.

I had to laugh about the typewriter conversation. The last time I saw one was back in the late 80's. :D
Sandy

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Duncan was just talking about wanting a Buffs shirt!

We would LOVE to get back to Colorado! Maybe someday.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Maelyn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:05 pm

WorkingMomx3 wrote:
Maelyn wrote:
Esther wrote:The goverment has been very slow to adapt to technology and we still have to fill out some shipping forms on the actual pressure sensitive triplicate forms using a typewriter LOL

Oh yeah... that takes me back. One of my contracts still uses a FAX machine. Really??? they can't scan and e-mail...
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby SherrieM. » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Check and make sure what they require, Mac v. PC. I know my alma mater requires that all journalism students have a Mac. It is considered one of their books, and it is needed for almost every class that they take.
SherrieM.

Postby mobetsy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Sandy wrote:Sarah's going to CU-Boulder. We called them and they said it's about 50/50, half use Ipads and half use laptops. :? So we left the choice up to Sarah and she chose the laptop.

Just talking yesterday with one of the 12th graders at church, and Boulder is one of his top two choices. Sounds like a great place!
mobetsy

Previous

Return to Alice's Restaurant