Spinoff Deux: Smartphone=how old?

Re: Spinoff Deux: Smartphone=how old?

Postby April » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 pm

My two nearly 13 year olds don't have smart phones. Neither do I... I cannot justify the 30 per month per line that would cost us! :eek: Only Jory has a smart phone and he pays his portion of the plan on his own.

I think once my kids have a way to pay their own fees, I would consider getting one for them. I think I would get them one before I even get myself one.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby mamaotter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:25 pm

My middle school kid has a phone, but not a smart phone. Not only do I not want to pay the fees, but I don't want him to have total access to the internet anywhere he is. For a kid going off to college - I have no problem at all with that, especially if he is going to pay the difference in the plan cost.
Janet, Mom to Ben & Caden
mamaotter

Postby ruffages » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:03 am

Tara wrote:One more thing to consider... Before you renew (if you decide to) contract threaten to leave and ask to speak to the customer retention department. I never knew this existed until a friend told me several years ago. As a good customer (we pay about $200 a month for 5 phones (2 are smart phones) they didn't want me to leave. I negotiated $25 each months bill plus 10% off total. It isn't much but better than I would have gotten had I just kept going with the flow! I have Sprint. Each time I renew I make sure my "deal" continues!
Tara

Tara...thank you SO much for this suggestion. I had been thinking a bit about doing this but not really sure where I would start or to whom I would ask for. Since it seems to work with the cable company, I thought it might be also work with the cell phones. I will give that a try first.

Which reminds me. I need to give the cable company another call. SIGH...

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby Jen O » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:53 am

Ashley Anne wrote:Both of my 4th grader's best friends got iPhone 4s for their 9th birthdays. My 6th grader looked at me, disgusted, and said "My life is so unfair" HAHA.

I do not understand the world. I just got an iPHone 4S slightly past my 45TH BIRTHDAY, my first smart phone, and only justified it because my company is now reimbursing us for some of the cost of our phones, rather than supplying us with a free phone. I cannot understand giving a 9 year old an iPhone. Cannot. Will not understand. It's 1200 @#$@*#&@ a year! (Okay, I'm sure it's somehow less on the "family plan", but that is not even the biggest issue).

Curmudgeonly yours,
Jen O., mommy to Sarah, 5-13-99 and Zachary, 1-27-02
Jen O

Postby ruffages » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 am

Jen...you are SO not alone and yet it seems to me that the only people NOT handing off smart phones to their "tots" are those right here. Sadly, my kids refuse to look at y'all as anecdotal evidence that I am NOT the stingiest, meanest mother in the entire universe for failing to give them what they want because, well, they want it. That there are still enough of us left to fill a small state. Maybe Rhode Island. ;-)

In case your wondering, yes. I hold the trophy. You'll have to wrestle me for it.
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby Sue » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:19 am

Jen O wrote:
Ashley Anne wrote:Both of my 4th grader's best friends got iPhone 4s for their 9th birthdays. My 6th grader looked at me, disgusted, and said "My life is so unfair" HAHA.

I do not understand the world. I just got an iPHone 4S slightly past my 45TH BIRTHDAY, my first smart phone, and only justified it because my company is now reimbursing us for some of the cost of our phones, rather than supplying us with a free phone. I cannot understand giving a 9 year old an iPhone. Cannot. Will not understand. It's 1200 @#$@*#&@ a year! (Okay, I'm sure it's somehow less on the "family plan", but that is not even the biggest issue).

Curmudgeonly yours,

Can you put any sort of parental controls on the web browser on a smart phone if you're giving one to a 9 year old? I'm so curmudgeonly that I wouldn't even give a kid an ipod touch. Do they really need to play games constantly? What does a 9 year old DO with an iphone or a touch? That's an honest question, can someone enlighten me?
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby mamaotter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 am

Sue wrote:
What does a 9 year old DO with an iphone or a touch? That's an honest question, can someone enlighten me?

Caden is 9 and has an itouch, I wouldn't buy it, but he saved up all his birthday money, allowance, money from grandma, etc and I allowed him to buy it for himself. There are tons of apps out there and he basically uses it to play those. The threat of getting it taken away also works to my benefit. ;o) Yeah, there's internet access on it, but I prefer the itouch to a smartphone because at least you need a wifi connection!
Janet, Mom to Ben & Caden
mamaotter

Postby mobetsy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 am

RhondaS wrote:Now the youngest, sigh. 8th grade, and a lot of her friends have iphones. I think it is crazy. Not to mention, she has an itouch, which does everything she wants, except be a phone. And she has a phone. I'm not paying extra when the itouch is free. She's argued and argued, but we are not giving in. Not even if she comes up with the money each month. I just do not think it is necessary to have something like that in high school (next year). So I'm a scrooge, but I'm ok with that.

This is us with Stephen. I don't think he needs one, though of course he thinks he does, and I am not willing to pay the extra per month for the data plan. He has an iPod Touch and a regular phone, which I consider plenty. This has been a big bone of contention, because his phone is old and not working very well, so we are looking at replacements. I think that an unlocked phone might be a good idea, as he can use it with any service; right now we are trying to get through the last year of a contract so that we will then have options.

I was annoyed when dh needed to replace his phone and got a smartphone and associated costs without our even discussing it, especially since he already has a work smartphone. Do you really need to be connected x2 all the time?
mobetsy

Postby Ashley Anne » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Jen O wrote:

Curmudgeonly yours,

I asked one of the moms and you will not believe the reply: Her husband works in a business that is technology dependent (shipping, btw) and he thinks it is important for kids to be up on the latest technology at all times or they will be left behind and at a disadvantage in the workplace.

Sigh.
Ashley Anne, mom to Natalie (11), Lindsay (9), and Kate (8)
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.
Ashley Anne

Postby Maelyn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 pm

My kids don't have smart phones and only Cam has a "stupid" phone. Voice / Text only. He is $10 a month on our family plan.

I have 2 smart phones - a BB for work that I can't get rid of but would love to and a Droid for home. For me, juggling 4 schedules and where in the world kids are supposed to be etc... it has been a life saver. I could see how having it in college would have been useful for me keeping track of assignments etc on the go but it wasn't the end of the world and a paper planner works just as well.

I would have had to pay for my plan too... and if they are covering the costs well ... they can buy what they can afford.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby carseatmom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Baylee has been told "When you can pay for it". That's what I'm sticking to until we have no options. Troy keeps saying that in the next few years there will not be any other options but smart phones. I'm not sure I believe him, but we'll see! LOL!

In 2004 42,800 people died, and 2,757,000 people were seriously injured
in car crashes. Don't think it can't happen to you! Always where a seat belt
and correctly use car seats and booster seats for children.
carseatmom

Postby wanda » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:33 pm

None of us have smart phones, and finding a phone is sooooooo difficult now. The choices are so limited that this last time, I bought an AT&T go phone and just stuck my SIM in it. Why bother with a contract renewal and activation fee? Taking those fees into account, I probably paid an additional $20 but I am hoping to one day find a deal worth leaving AT&T and this leaves me open for change.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:42 am

mamaotter wrote:
Sue wrote:
What does a 9 year old DO with an iphone or a touch? That's an honest question, can someone enlighten me?

Caden is 9 and has an itouch, I wouldn't buy it, but he saved up all his birthday money, allowance, money from grandma, etc and I allowed him to buy it for himself. There are tons of apps out there and he basically uses it to play those. The threat of getting it taken away also works to my benefit. ;o) Yeah, there's internet access on it, but I prefer the itouch to a smartphone because at least you need a wifi connection!

That's what Kylie(9) did last Nov. I found her a great deal around Thanksgiving and she used her own money to buy the newest itouch. Six or 7 of her friends have iphones :roll: and she wanted to be able to text.

In our family DH is the only one with a smart phone but it's only because he needed it for work. He works in IT and needs to be able to to test the applications his team writes on different types of technologies. Sarah has a regular phone she mainly uses for texting. I have a pre-paid phone that I rarely use and we have 1 extra pre-paid phone that Kylie and Rachel can use if they go some where and need it to stay connected with us.

Wanted to add. We gave Rachel her own pre-paid phone at the beginning of this school year. Her first year of middle school. She lost it in October and we haven't replaced it. She's been driving DH nuts telling him she needs an iphone. We told her that she's dreaming if she thinks we would give her and iphone when she wasn't even responsible enough to take care of a pre-paid phone. She has hit the terrible teens and it'll be a miracle if we survive. :roll:
Sandy

Postby ruffages » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 pm

I want to thank you Tara again for your advice on calling customer retention. I finally did that today after watching the Verizon website and finding two phones that were free that I thought we'd both be happy with. I explained my situation and it took several attempts especially after twice saying...I simply CANNOT add another $60 per month to my bill. The agent checked one final "deal" and came back with Verizon has started up a new deal that gets you smartphones with 2GB data (which is still doubled) for an extra $9.99 per line for 12 months. So, with what Dyl is offering to pay towards the dataline, it will come out a wash. I ordered our phones from Verizon and Alaina's from Sams Club (Verizon...Verizon wanted $80 for hers and at Sams Club it was free). So...I spent a whopping $0 new phones: a Droid Bionic, an HTC Thunderbolt and an LG Extravert. The new phones will cost us an extra $20 (for both/month) for the first year.

Woot!

Whew. I know...that was keeping y'all from sleeping, all that worrying. You're welcome. ;-)

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
ruffages

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 pm

ruffages wrote:I want to thank you Tara again for your advice on calling customer retention. I finally did that today after watching the Verizon website and finding two phones that were free that I thought we'd both be happy with. I explained my situation and it took several attempts especially after twice saying...I simply CANNOT add another $60 per month to my bill. The agent checked one final "deal" and came back with Verizon has started up a new deal that gets you smartphones with 2GB data (which is still doubled) for an extra $9.99 per line for 12 months. So, with what Dyl is offering to pay towards the dataline, it will come out a wash. I ordered our phones from Verizon and Alaina's from Sams Club (Verizon...Verizon wanted $80 for hers and at Sams Club it was free). So...I spent a whopping $0 new phones: a Droid Bionic, an HTC Thunderbolt and an LG Extravert. The new phones will cost us an extra $20 (for both/month) for the first year.

Woot!

Whew. I know...that was keeping y'all from sleeping, all that worrying. You're welcome. ;-)

Carolyn

So you did this on the phone?
We're up for renewal in April. Colin has decided on a iphone and will pay for the xtras. However, if I can get any type of reduction on a data plan, that would be great! I really doubt there will be any sort of break for an iphone.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby ruffages » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Linda, I did do this all over the phone. They didn't know all the details as it is a new promotion that supposedly ends 3/31 (I say supposedly...the double your data "supposedly" ended too but it was quickly back). I do recall asking specifically if this meant that I could NOT purchase (I use that term loosely because the phones were "free") the 4G phones that CAME with the double your data (I figured I could NOT) and was surprised that I could.

One thing as well...I did call Verizon on all this and was going to just order while I had them on the phone but phone orders do NOT see the same web deals, so I had her note the deal on my account and went ahead and ordered online. We'll see how all this shakes out tomorrow when I need to activate the phones and the data plans.

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
ruffages

Previous

Return to Alice's Restaurant