Blackberry vs. iPhone (possibly vs. Droid)?

Blackberry vs. iPhone (possibly vs. Droid)?

Postby Tammy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:29 am

I am not someone who is always on the cutting edge of technology. Actually, I prefer to wait until new things have proven themselves before I jump on the proverbial bandwagon. It took me years to make the leap from a Palm Pilot (nope, not a Palm phone; I mean the Palm Pilot -- stylus and all) to a Blackberry. I admit it, I'm not good with change.

Unfortunately, the Blackberry Tour that I've had for a few years now (and have been very happy with, BTW) is showing signs of being in the final phase of its life. I have promised dh that I will upgrade this weekend. He wants me to consider an iPhone. He has one through his work, and he thinks (as I've heard from many others) that it makes the BB's look like they are from the Dark Ages.

Here are my concerns:

1. I really, really, really like a conventional keyboard. I know I can acclimate to a touch-style, but I fear that it will take me some time to do so. And honestly, I am in the midst of a very busy part of the year with my work. I can't afford to waste my time spending 10 minutes typing a 2-minute e-mail.

2. I think apps are great, but I am not exactly cutting edge with these either. I use them for silly stuff like checking to see when the movie is playing or how much the tip should be at the restaurant. I use my BB primarily for indulging all my type-A ways -- calendars and schedules, to-do lists, and other reminders.

3. I hate that the iPhone has an internal battery. Before you feel too impressed, please know that I gleaned this info from dh. It's the one down side he sees to the iPhone. I use my BB a lot. A lot, a lot. I'm on my third battery. This means that I have been able to hold onto the same phone for about three years, during which I didn't have to get used to a new one and go through this whole stressful event.

If you are remotely similar to me in any of these ways and have made a recent smartphone purchase, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Editing to add: I just did some preliminary research, and I'm intrigued by Siri -- as good as it sounds??
Last edited by Tammy on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Re: Blackberry vs. iPhone (possibly vs. Droid)?

Postby Tina » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:05 am

I'm the last person you want to get input from. I still have a flip phone which only has the "features" of a camera and video. LOL. I'm REALLY behind the times. :P
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby JulieB » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 pm

I am not tech-y at all. But I LOVE LOVE my iphone. I have the ipone4s (the one with Siri) and it is a beautiful phone! I don't use siri that often but it is a cool feature to have! My sister has a blackberry .. and you are right the iphone makes the BB looks like a clunky dinosaur!

Go with the iphone, You will not regret it!
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby Cheryl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:41 pm

I love my iphone. Head over heels;) We did just upgrade to the 4S after I think 3 years with my previous iphone. I do use Siri occasionally...if I am really in a hurry and have to text at a stop light. (I know, I Know...but it is usually work) I just speak the text and she types it. I can type pretty fast for an email but my responses are certainly shorter than if I had a keyboard. If it requires a longer response, it waits until I am home. I have links to my google calendar, have my email from my personal and work email all go to my phone. My fav feature is to ask Siri to "Remind me when I get home to ...." (Or work). The second I pull into either garage, she alarms and texts me my reminder. I think about something when I am driving but know I might forget by the time I get home. I use very few apps...word for friends, facebook, manic mommies, and work apps for asthma and prescribing meds. I have a few Spanish apps for fun...I think that is it. I use to track my period but it has been 300 days so Not using that app anymore!! Super easy to use.
Cheryl

Postby Ashley Anne » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:01 pm

I have an Android (HTC EVO) and I love it! I don't do well with Apple products, so iPhone was out for me.
Ashley Anne, mom to Natalie (11), Lindsay (9), and Kate (8)
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.
Ashley Anne

Postby sarah » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Dh has an HTC EVO and he loves it, but he's thinking about switching to the IPhone 4s, which is what he just got me when I literally cracked my HTC google. I don't use Siri much, last time I asked her how to get home she gave me directions for Bangkok, Thailand :eek: She IS fun though and the girls and dh spend hours asking her questions! Kendra is convinced that when she calls me and gets my voice mail she's leaving messages with Siri! LOL! I am also concerned about the internal battery, I had to replace mine twice with my google phone, which I'd had three years. I'm still figuring it out, but otherwise I love it.
Sarah, mom to 4 bookworm girls! J-16, L-15, K-12, I-10

sarah

Postby sarah » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:47 pm

I just remembered two things I don't like about the iPhone. One is ringtones, on my htc I could make my own. I had different songs for different people. I always knew who was calling without looking at my phone. With the iPhone I have to buy them, even if I already own the song! The other is going back to different apps. With the htc there was a back button that would allow me to get out of something without getting out of everything. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

sarah

Postby cherir » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:45 am

I was the same way....HAD to have a regular keyboard. Until......Holt loaned me his iPhone in a dare......I took the dare because I was POSITIVE I would hate the touch screen.

OMG - you have no idea how awesome the iPhone is...and phooey on those keyboards. Was totally a non-issue in the end. The apps I use all the time have changed my life...plus several frilly ones.....I do not know what I did before my iPhone...:)

Cheri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No one needs a smile as much as a person who fails to give one." Unknown
cherir

Postby cathie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:27 am

Tammy, I felt couldn't justify an iPhone for myself because the service is so pricey so instead I got a Droid ($25 a month for unlimited data and texting). DH has an iPhone and has for years. The great thing about the iPhone is the apps. However, I use my phone to email and text, and that is much better on the Droid (mine has a slide out keyboard). That is really not the iPhone's strong point, so it depends what you are going to use your phone for. I'm surprised at how handy it is for me to be able to type out a long email on my phone, which quite honestly is a pain on the iPhone touchscreen. OTOH, the Droid apps are not nearly as flashy and the phone is less intuitive than an iPhone.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Sue » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:32 am

sarah wrote:With the htc there was a back button that would allow me to get out of something without getting out of everything. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

I don't have a smartphone at all, so I've got nothing for that conversation, but Sarah, my kids told me that on the ipad if you are in something and you hit the button twice fast, it brings up a mini menu at the bottom of the last things you used. I'm not sure if that will help with your missing back button, but it's a trick I didn't know about so I thought I'd mention it.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby mobetsy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 am

Sue wrote:
sarah wrote:With the htc there was a back button that would allow me to get out of something without getting out of everything. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

I don't have a smartphone at all, so I've got nothing for that conversation, but Sarah, my kids told me that on the ipad if you are in something and you hit the button twice fast, it brings up a mini menu at the bottom of the last things you used. I'm not sure if that will help with your missing back button, but it's a trick I didn't know about so I thought I'd mention it.

You can do the same thing on the iPad by swiping upward with four fingers.
mobetsy

Postby Sue » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:35 am

mobetsy wrote:
Sue wrote:

You can do the same thing on the iPad by swiping upward with four fingers.

Well I can learn things from my children and my friends! :grin:
Sue

Postby sarah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Johannah did teach me that trick, it's just not as easy as it was with my droid. I'm also really clumsy with that button :oops: it was such a convenient feature on the droid. Oh and on my droid when I took pictures it asked if I wanted to upload it to FB, which I had a love/hate relationship with. I actually miss that on the iPhone. I have to upload pictures from FB itself and it's harder to pick the right one if there's similar ones.

sarah

Postby Tammy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 am

I went with an iPhone 4S. I'm still getting used to it, but so far I like it. The virtual keyboard is better than I thought it would be. I find myself typing with one hand, though. Not sure why, but I have to work on that.

cathie wrote:Tammy, I felt couldn't justify an iPhone for myself because the service is so pricey so instead I got a Droid ($25 a month for unlimited data and texting).

We are still only paying $30 each for our data plans, same as what we were paying for the Blackberries. Maybe it depends on the provider? We're using Verizon, because they have the best coverage in our area.

Sarah, dh found several apps that allow you to make your own ringtones. Haven't had time to use it yet, but they are out there.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. Now I just hope I am done with changing phones for the next three years at least!
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby Sue » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 am

cathie wrote:Tammy, I felt couldn't justify an iPhone for myself because the service is so pricey so instead I got a Droid ($25 a month for unlimited data and texting).

Tammy wrote:We are still only paying $30 each for our data plans, same as what we were paying for the Blackberries. Maybe it depends on the provider? We're using Verizon, because they have the best coverage in our area.

Well, well. I had no idea there was a $30 data plan for an ipone! I may take the plunge, I'm paying about $20/month for a no-contract (mostly) text-only phone now ... hmmm, can I justify buying an iphone when I just splurged on a too-good-to-pass-up KitchenAid stand mixer deal?? It's only money, right? Image

:? Seems I got excited too soon ... there is a $30 data plan, but it does on top of the $60 talk/text plan ... and $90 month I'm not willing to part with for a phone. Oh well, guess I'll go make cookies with my mixer!
Sue

Postby sarah » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Tammy, let me know what apps they are! I miss my ringtones!

sarah

Postby wanda » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Sue wrote: :? Seems I got excited too soon ... there is a $30 data plan, but it does on top of the $60 talk/text plan ... and $90 month I'm not willing to part with for a phone. Oh well, guess I'll go make cookies with my mixer!

Yeah, that's the same thing that slows me down. Send me a few cookies, please!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Tina » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 am

wanda wrote:
Sue wrote: :? Seems I got excited too soon ... there is a $30 data plan, but it does on top of the $60 talk/text plan ... and $90 month I'm not willing to part with for a phone. Oh well, guess I'll go make cookies with my mixer!

I'll take some cookies too please. ROFL.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:43 am

Tina wrote:
wanda wrote:

I'll take some cookies too please. ROFL.

Cookies for me too! That extra $30 keeps me away from smart phones as well. And I'm so cheap that I even returned the great kitchen aid mixer I picked up last year - $125 at Target! I've always wanted one. I kept it in the box for a week trying to decide. I realized I had no place to store it and I wasn't sure how often I would use it, so I returned it. :( I'm sure I would have found a use for it.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Sue » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Well, there's always this (from 2008) for us cookie eaters. :D

Sue

Next

Return to Alice's Restaurant