"The Help"

"The Help"

Postby wanda » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:16 am

Fred and I went to see "The Help" yesterday. It was the first time we'd been to a movie in forever...I really don't remember the last one we saw! Anyway, I enjoyed it. Sad as the situation was, my family was one of the odd ones where the help was more like family. Parts did actually bring a smile to my face with memories of "my" Odessa. Anyone else seen it? i kept meaning to read the book, but haven't yet. Still plan to, but I'm working on my last bag of stashed books and it's kind of slow going lately.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Re: "The Help"

Postby Lisa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Wanda- I loved the book and the movie. And while I don't understand having "help" in the house, I can see how those relationships can be as complicated as they are portrayed. Really recommend the book!

Lisa mom to Katie (17) Jacob (15) Grace (13) Ben (11) Gabriel (10) and Matthew (7)
Be the difference you want to see in the world.
Lisa
Queen Mother

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:49 pm

I read the book - have not seen the movie (and given that I go to a movie about once every 5 years, likely not to).

Both of my grandmothers had "help". I think it was just part of the South thing. I remember them well.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby wanda » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Nancy wrote:I read the book - have not seen the movie (and given that I go to a movie about once every 5 years, likely not to).

Both of my grandmothers had "help". I think it was just part of the South thing. I remember them well.

Nancy, I'm a little surprised you didn have "help" considering where you're from. Ours wasn't full time, but she was there regularly.

Relationships were a bit complicated for most, Lisa. I don't think we were the norm because boundries were more blurred in our home. My grandparents were another matter altogether! In Panama, I was not the norm either. I ate lunch with my maids and had them sit at the table and eat with my children. Panama was a bit behind the times, may actually still had separate dishes for the maids to use and bathrooms outside the house...just like in the movie, and this was in the 80's!

edited because I can't type and spell at the same time :oops:
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Big Bean Burrito » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Meg read the book and her and I have seen the movie twice now LOL She said the book was pretty similar. She was telling me things like people hair color was different, etc but she said they did a good job on the movie. I think it would have been an interesting time to live. I'd pay to see the movie again. Finally a movie with a real story and plot!
Big Bean Burrito

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 am

Nope - none for me - just my grandmothers.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Linda » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 am

I haven't read the book (it's on my to-read list) nor seen the film.

I do remember Maria from when we lived in Cyprus in the late 70's -she was a Greek Cypriot widow who came in and did the cleaning and laundry for my mum (which was the norm there and the military wives were strongly encouraged to hire one of the local women in order to provide employment opportunities). Maria loved to iron - she ironed everything, even socks and the mending. She didn't speak much English but she always smiled and patted me and my sister on the head and said we were 'good girls'.

That was the only time we ever had 'help' - my ancestral family were the help :) - lots of domestic servants and agricultural labourers in my family tree, even well into the 20th century
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Tina » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

My Mom took Sean to see it and they both really enjoyed it. I'm going to try to catch it on pay-per-view.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Heather » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:19 pm

I literally laughed out loud at having "help" being a southern thing!! My family was apparently too poor to even BE the "help"! I know Auntie worked as a 10 year old, picking cotton for 75 cents per week.

At 6 years old, she was left at home alone with her 3 year old brother and my grandma, who was a newborn for 12 hours a day, so her parents could work in the fields. She told me that she wasn't allowed to get Grandma off of the bed b/c they were afraid that Auntie would drop her. So, she'd warm up cows milk, mixed with water on the stove and then climb up on the bed to feed Grandma with a spoon.

"I think someone must have peed in the gene pool." ~ Matt

"I prefer Prozac Mommy over PMS Mommy!" ~ Will
Heather

Postby Julie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Excellent book, great movie!
Julie mom to Jamie, Walter and Samuel, mimi to Kale!
Julie

Postby Esmeralda » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Very much loved the book but have yet to see the movie.

My grandma was "the help", but in a Northern town. The lady of the house thought the milkman would be a good husband for my grandma, so she played matchmaker. My grandma's new job was to get the milk from the milkman. Worked like a charm and they ended up with 8 wonderful children, my mom being one.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Lizzie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 am

Yes I saw it the week it came out here with friends like me, that read the book.
I think the book was awesome and they did a pretty darned good job with the movie considering there is so much material and many diverse characters in the book to actually get screen time! :smile:
Lizzie

Postby Teena » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 am

I have the book now..just starting to read it. I haven't seen the movie yet, I want to read the book first.
Teena

Return to Alice's Restaurant