Tell me something I don't know about you!

Re: Tell me something I don't know about you!

Postby mobetsy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm

One semester while I was in seminary, my work study job was cleaning Desmond Tutu's apartment while he was there as a visiting professor. That was when he won the Nobel Peace Prize, very cool. I have a handwritten thank you letter from him :D
mobetsy

Postby wanda » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 am

mobetsy wrote:One semester while I was in seminary, my work study job was cleaning Desmond Tutu's apartment while he was there as a visiting professor. That was when he won the Nobel Peace Prize, very cool. I have a handwritten thank you letter from him :D

That is really cool! What a keepsake.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Sue » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:52 am

mobetsy wrote:One semester while I was in seminary, my work study job was cleaning Desmond Tutu's apartment while he was there as a visiting professor. That was when he won the Nobel Peace Prize, very cool. I have a handwritten thank you letter from him :D

Cool Betsy!

I once (as an adult) wrote a fan letter to Beverly Cleary and got a handwritten letter back. I love Beverly Cleary! And if you love her too and haven't read her two autobiographies, do! You don't be disappointed. (I have no idea why one of these is underlined and one is not. But the links are to amazon)

A Girl from Yamhill

My Own Two Feet
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby SherrieM. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 am

Hmmmmm. I love to garden outdoors. Plants inside my house have a 50-50 shot of surviving, but anything outside I can grow. The drought in Texas is driving me crazy, because I can't plant anything new and I'm struggling to keep my gardens alive.

I've left new gardens at every house we've ever lived in. :)
SherrieM.

Postby funnygirl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:26 pm

My Fluff thread made me think of this! When I was 17 I had a part time job filling paint into engraved computer keys. At the time, I thought it was the greatest job, looking back, not so much. Glad I wised up and got a job in a law firm.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Mel in Indy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:04 am

I worked in the Red Wagon making and selling cotton candy at Kennywood Park when i was in high school. Always went home with pink hair.
Mel in Indy, Mom to Aaron 20, Emily 16
Mel in Indy

Postby Heba » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:22 am

Oh Betsy you've already told us that (it is very cool). You need to tell us something else! :grin:
Heba

Postby mamaotter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:49 pm

I would love to get up on stage and belt out a song. Unfortunately, I cannot carry a tune in a bucket. :D
Janet, Mom to Ben & Caden
mamaotter

Postby cherir » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:01 pm

In high school, I played Bass Clarinet, clarinet, bassoon, tenor sax, alto sax, a little flute and tried to learn the French Horn. That failed. lol

Went to 3 different 4th grades (parent's moving a lot...)

Cheri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No one needs a smile as much as a person who fails to give one." Unknown
cherir

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:15 pm

I finally remembered something sort of cool. I was working on a project on the Snake River, outside of Jackson Hole. I was checking out irrigation headgates for a water rights modeling project. I was on Harrison Ford and Dick Cheney's properties (and who knows who else - the homes were HUGE!). And I got to work with Rulon Gardner's dad (gold medal winner Olympic wrestler and from Biggest Loser) for the same thing on the Salt River, south of Jackson. His dad is a great guy.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Lizzie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:35 am

Tammy, too funny! We knew Paul Newman was in Chatham where we vacationed for the entire summer (Cape Cod) one summer and went on Paul Newman hunts, lol...this was late 1970's..Never saw him! :(

Speaking of celebs...Ralph Macchio (Karate Kid, My Cousin Vinnie, Dancing With the Stars) lives in our town and he is very down to earth. His youngest, Danny now going into 10th grade is a down to earth darling as I have substitute taught him numerous times over the last two years.

Let''s see....oh I am terrified of big lightening storms at night since a bolt hit our house when I was a young teen.
Lizzie

Postby Heather » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 am

A bit late... but better late than never, right?!

I have Baseball Hall of Famer Phil Niekro's email address and phone number. I'm also from the same town as the Governor of GA... he grew up with my mom.

"I think someone must have peed in the gene pool." ~ Matt

"I prefer Prozac Mommy over PMS Mommy!" ~ Will
Heather

Postby Big Bean Burrito » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:47 pm

Interesting! I like to make the box brownie mix and eat it raw :) I like blueberry muffin mix too!
Big Bean Burrito

Postby Esmeralda » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 am

Big Bean Burrito wrote:Interesting! I like to make the box brownie mix and eat it raw :) I like blueberry muffin mix too!

What about cookie dough, Gail?!
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Big Bean Burrito » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am

Absolutely!! Cookie dough is awesome! Choco chip only though. Sugar cookie dough is gross. Funny you mentioned that actually. This last weekend Tanner had a friend stay with us for the weekend. I stopped at Papa Murphys one night to get a pizza for the kids and grabbed a container of their cookie dough, planning to eat it on the way home :grin: Come to find out it's hard to eat that and drive at the same time LOL Anyway, it made it home with only a little missing. Tanner grabbed it out of the fridge and yelled "cookie dough!!!!" His friend was like WHAT!! YOU EAT THAT???!?!?!? Tanner said "of course! Haven't you ever eatten cookie dough??" His friend was completely grossed out and said he'd never even tried it. I felt so bad for the kid LOL 13 years old and never ever tried cookie dough! He did try one bit and wouldn't eat any more. Inside I was happy he didn't want any, more for me LOL
Big Bean Burrito

Postby sarah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 pm

LOL! Gail, I eat dough too. Cookie, brownie, cake, etc...
Sarah, mom to 4 bookworm girls! J-16, L-15, K-12, I-10

sarah

Postby RhondaH » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Big Bean Burrito wrote:Absolutely!! Cookie dough is awesome! Choco chip only though. Sugar cookie dough is gross. Funny you mentioned that actually. This last weekend Tanner had a friend stay with us for the weekend. I stopped at Papa Murphys one night to get a pizza for the kids and grabbed a container of their cookie dough, planning to eat it on the way home :grin: Come to find out it's hard to eat that and drive at the same time LOL Anyway, it made it home with only a little missing. Tanner grabbed it out of the fridge and yelled "cookie dough!!!!" His friend was like WHAT!! YOU EAT THAT???!?!?!? Tanner said "of course! Haven't you ever eatten cookie dough??" His friend was completely grossed out and said he'd never even tried it. I felt so bad for the kid LOL 13 years old and never ever tried cookie dough! He did try one bit and wouldn't eat any more. Inside I was happy he didn't want any, more for me LOL

OMGosh, I am THAT MOM, that says you can't eat that, it has raw eggs in it!!!!! Yet, I've been known to text and drive, apply make up and drive, etc...hahaaa!!!
RhondaH

Postby Maelyn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:37 pm

sarah wrote:LOL! Gail, I eat dough too. Cookie, brownie, cake, etc...

Me too. And chocolate cake batter (that spelling looks wrong lol).
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby mobetsy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Count me in on the dough/batter eaters! The existence of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream demonstrates we all must be in pretty good company :-) I just try not to think about the raw egg in the products that contain it.

Any other peanut butter and bacon or p.b. and cheese sandwich lovers out there? My whole family thinks I'm nuts, but I grew up eating both of these and still love them.

Having been told my Desmond Tutu story was not new...how about this one? When I was in 6th grade in 1972-73, only boys were allowed to sell milk and juice at lunch. Principal and teacher said the shrink wrapped packs of little cartons (maybe 48 to a pack? perhaps fewer) were too heavy for a girl to get out of the cafeteria fridge and onto the cart from which it was sold. I contested that, proved they were wrong, and thus became the first girl to sell lunchtime beverages :D I did the same thing in 9th grade, when only members of the 9th grade boys' honor group at school were given the job of raising and lowering the flag each day; I managed to persuade the administrators that their discrimination was inappropriate, and thereafter both the girls and boys got to do it! In both cases, I think my real motivation was getting out of class early/arriving late because of whatever the responsibility was...
mobetsy

Postby Heba » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 am

Ooh Betsy I may like that story even better than the Archbishop Tutu story :)
Heba

PreviousNext

Return to Alice's Restaurant