Good mall shops to buy clothes for the -ahem - middle aged?

Good mall shops to buy clothes for the -ahem - middle aged?

Postby cathie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 pm

It has been awhile since I have seriously bought new clothes. I went to the mall the other day and realized:

1) it had really been awhile because some stores I liked had disappeared. Also didn't know many of the new stores.

2) I can't shop as much where I used to shop because the clothes are "too young" (like, say, ripped studded jeans at Express which is a store I used to really love) and my body shape is changing to that lovely middle aged look (not sure what it is exactly, but my body shape looks older all of a sudden)

So, where do you like to shop for good quality, somewhat trendy but not too over the top everyday clothes? And especially, where the heck do I find a pair of trendy-enough jeans that will fit me right?!

Last question, skinny or boot cut jeans? Skinny is all we've bought for dd but not sure whether the look has really trickled up to our age group yet, lol.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Re: Good mall shops to buy clothes for the -ahem - middle aged?

Postby Maelyn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm no fashionista to say the least. I often shop at Chicos or Nordstrom's off the rack for work clothes and jeans are typically from Kohls. The lady at Chicos told me that because my height /middle ratio was tending towards that 'middle spred' (she was soooooo much nicer about it but that was the gist), that my jeans should be a straight leg and not a boot cut so that it minimized the center spread.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby mobetsy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Boot cut jeans for me! And truth be told, the best fit I've found has been 2 store brand pairs I bought on a super sale (under $10 each) at Sears. I also like the Lands End ones, but I have two pairs with the same model/style number and they are definitely not quite the same (one slightly longer and with a bigger waist); that makes me wary of buying more.
mobetsy

Postby Esmeralda » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:16 pm

I get jeans at Old Navy, but don't like the skinny look on myself. They look so cute on everyone, but definitely not on me. I also have gotten jeans at New York and Co. and like them.

Where do I shop. Well, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Target are my biggies. I also like Ann Taylor Loft and New York and Co. That is where almost all of my clothing comes from.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Tammy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:25 am

I shop most of the same places Tisha mentioned. I also have good luck at J.C. Penney and Kohl's for age-appropriate stuff. I was really excited when we finally got an H&M here, but honestly, I was really disappointed with the quality of their stuff. And it looked so good on What Not to Wear. :(

P.S. I don't remember how tall you are, but I do know a lot of us PNMers are 5'3" or in that vicinity. If you are, Kohl's is one of the few places that still has a petites section. I love their Daisy Fuentes jeans -- always fit me perfectly. When I buy jeans anywhere else, I always mentally add $10 to the price to have them shortened. :evil:
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby cathie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:15 am

Tammy wrote: I was really excited when we finally got an H&M here, but honestly, I was really disappointed with the quality of their stuff.

Ahh, H&M. Another place I used to shop at a lot but I think it is really more teen and 20-something. It's the IKEA of clothes (Swedish, disposible). The great thing was you could get a very cheap version of the latest fashions, knowing that it would only last a season or two but then they'd be "out" anyway. When dd was small I bought most of her clothes there, so cute!

I'm 5'7 so most things fit OK.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Lizzie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:40 am

Marshalls
Ann Taylor
Ann Taylor Loft
Kohls
I have skinny, boot cut and bell bottoms, lol
Lizzie

Postby Ashley Anne » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:26 am

They aren't necessarily mall stores, but I have good luck with J. Crew and Land's End (though the later runs big so sometimes I can't get it to fit me). Ann Taylor and Loft are great when the style's right, But some seasons seem 'off' to me and the quality can be sketchy. Target for basic stuff. I bought a few cute things at White House, Black Market a few years ago. If their stuff fits you right, I think Chico's is awesome. (wish it looked good on me!!)

those are my thoughts, but bear in mind that I loathe shopping and tend to only "shop' every few years. ;)
Ashley Anne, mom to Natalie (11), Lindsay (9), and Kate (8)
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.
Ashley Anne

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:02 pm

I also ditto Chico's. I find their clothes are very ....forgiving. 8)
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Anna » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:13 pm

I thought I had posted but I guess not.

Don't give up on skinny jeans, Cathie. They are a must have with boots, and I do love my boots. You can wear that with just about anything from sweaters to jackets. I don't wear them with anything BUT boots, I would feel a little silly at my age.

One of my favorite looks is skinny jeans and boots, and a crisp white blouse. Plain. No ruffly crap. And no tucking in the blouse, but belted is okay. Loose is best. Add a jacket and you're ready to go. Or sweater.

For me it's Old Navy for jeans (I'm a 6 there, where everywhere else I'm an 8 so they will continue to get my business, lol!) TJ's and Marshalls. I like Macys too. Parisian has some cute stuff and GREAT sales. I don't and won't spend a lot of money on anything trendy. What's here today is often gone tomorrow. A great pair of jeans that you feel great in is money well spent. I'm opting for higher waists now for obvious reasons. :roll:

Still hangin' on to my fourties by a shred of the thread.
She believed she could, so she did.

Anna, mom to Stephen ("Steve" blech) 26, SHAYNE! (17) and CJ (Siege) 15

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Anna

Postby JulieB » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:51 pm

I just discovered skinny jeans and LOVE them with boots! I got a couple of pairs at The Gap. I also think having a couple of really good jeans that you may have to spend some cash on is a must! I have great luck with Seven For Mankind jeans and Citizens of Humanity .. I think you get what you pay for in the fit! I have heard that Lucky Jeans fit well too but dont' have any.

My favorite stores to shop at are Anthropologie, Francesca's, Nordstroms, Banana Republic, J Crew, Gap, and Target.
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Return to Alice's Restaurant